GUS Update Instructions¶
This document was written for systems administrators, if you are a GUS user, this page is not meant for you.
On the 4D Client¶
- Connect to your running GUS installation using the 4D client software. Log in as Administrator with your current administrator password.
- Save your departmental data: Under the Utilities menu select Prepare for Update. This saves department-specific changes to lists as well as the current Users & Groups information.
- Log out of the 4D client.
On the 4D server¶
- Download the new version of GUS and unzip
- Record the existing server preferences
- Open the “Databse Settings...” menu item. (Under the ‘File’ menu on a Mac and under the ‘Edit’ menu on Windows)
- Record the Publication Name and port numbers for Client-server, Web, and SQL. Your numbers will probably vary from those shown in the examples below.
- Note for Windows servers:
- If you are running 4D Server as a service, you must stop the service. Then manually relaunch 4D Server as a normal application. If you don’t do this, you won’t see the menus you need to do the update and you won’t be able to save any changes you make.
- Shut down the 4D server application (when all users have disconnected).
- Make a backup of your existing GUS data and structure files and keep them in a safe spot. The files & folders will look something like this:
- GUS.4DB (structure)
- GUS.4DD (data file) <– this is your data
- GUS.RSR (optional resource file–no longer used)
- Resources (folder)
You should copy the .4DB, the .4DD, and the .RSR files into your backup. If you do not have an .RSR file, backup the Resources folder instead.
- Replace the old structure file (.4DB) with the downloaded one (keeping your backup safe).
- Rename the .4DB file to match the name of your data file (.4DD).
- Delete .4DIndx, .4DIndy, .4DMatch files. They will be recreated.
- Delete your .RSR file if you have one (don’t delete your backup).
- Delete and replace the Resources folder with the downloaded one (don’t delete your backup).
- Restart the 4D Server application
- If intending to convert to a new version, accept the conversion
- Reselect the datafile (if prompted)
Restore your server preferences (from step 5). A helper screen (shown below) will appear on the server when you do an update. The intent of the screen is to help remind you of the server settings that you will need to address during the update process.
You may use this form if you find it helpful. Otherwise you can dismiss it by clicking the “Done” button and use the traditional method of setting server preferences (see step 5).
- Re-start the server to apply the changed settings
If you are running the server on Windows and you wish to run 4D server as a service, this is the time when you will restart 4D/GUS as a service.
Back on the 4D Client¶
- Log in as administrator (default password will be
- Restore your department specific lists and your Users & Groups information.
- Under the Utilities menu, select “Finish Update”.
- After the database checking is done you will be asked if you want to load Users and Groups.
- If you don’t choose to load the Users and Groups you will need to manually re-enter them.
- If you choose to load them, they will be loaded and the user management window will be opened.
- Reset your administrator password. Select the Administrator item and click on the “Edit...” button to change the password. Then you may close the user management window.